Welcome to Kurnool Municipality Corporation  
 
Kurnool, also known as the gateway o Rayalaseema, once the capital of erstwhile Andhra State from 1953 to 1953 is situated at a latitude of 150.48’’ N and longitude of 720 E on the banks of sacred river at an altitude of about 900 feet above sea level. It is a city of great cultural heritage with its history dating back to the 11th Century. The historical monuments of national importance that are standing every today to the post glory of the city. The city is encircled by temples, mosques, dargahs and holy shrines which present in a miniature the cultural diversity of the Nation. The city is situated at about 215 K.M from Secunderabad on the Secunderabad – Dornachalam section of South Central Railway. It is not only the seat of administration of the District, but also of the region with several regional Government offices and other public institutions being located here. It is also an important education center having a well established Medical College as well as other education institutions.

Historical Growth:
Little was known about Kurnool Town before 11th Century. The earliest knowledge of this settlement dates back to 11th Century. It is developed as transit place on the southern banks of the river Tungabhadra and was commonly known as ‘Kandenavolu’. It was a greasing place for the carts which used to transport stone for the construction of temples at Alampur from which the name ‘Kandenavolu’ was derived. It was ruled by Cholas and later by Kakatiya kings in the 12th and 13th Centuries. Later on it became an independent part of the country under Jagirdars. Late it came under the influence of Vijayanagar Kings and it was during the 16th Century that Achyuta Raya built the Kurnool Fort. During the 17th Century it was ruled by Gopal Raja. Abdul Wahab conquered king Gopal Raja and ruled over the country for 16 years. The town came under the influence of Moghal Emperor Aurangazeb in 1686. Later the town was ruled by Nawabs from Dawood Khan to Gulam Rasool Khan (1823). In 1839 the British Government took over control. In 1858 it was made over to a Collector under the General regulations. The British rule continued till 1947 during which period, Kurnool town was a part of Madras presidency. After separation of the 11 districts of Andhra from the composite of Madras state in 1953, Kurnool became the state Head Quarters on October 1, 1953.

The Telugu speaking areas of erstwhile Hyderabad State were merged with Andhra Pradesh and then Andhra Pradesh State came into existence in November 1956, and the State Capital was shifted from Kurnool to Hyderabad. Kurnool has remained as District Head Quarters.

 
  Copyright © Municipal Administration & Urban Development Department, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh - 2011. Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us