In Andhra Pradesh, the urban civic governance comes under Municipal Administration and Urban Development Department (MA&UDD). The Department of Municipal Administration and Urban Development is the governing body comprising of following departments.
- Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration (C&DMA)
- Public Health Engineering Department (PHED)
- Town & Country Planning Department (TCPD)
- Andhra Pradesh Urban Finance & Infrastructure Development Corporation (APUFIDC)
- Municipal Corporations at Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam and Vijayawada
- Urban Development Authorities (UDA)
- Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board (HMWSSB)
The Directorate of Municipal Administration (DMA) is the apex organization of Municipal Administration and Urban Development Department of Government of Andhra Pradesh (GoAP), which provides guidance to Municipal Corporations and Municipalities in performing their day to day activities in adherence to the policies, procedures and guidelines provided by MA & UDD to achieve effective civic administration. The Directorate is headed by the Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration (C&DMA).
C&DMA administers through the Office of Directorate of Municipal Administration (DMA), Regional Offices (RDMA) and Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) spread across the State. DMA, in its supervisory role, monitors the functioning of the ULBs against key parameters such as the tax collections, project and civic works executed, the implementation of the schemes of the Government etc. It also includes the supervision of the regulatory and developmental functions of the ULBs. DMA interacts with several other departments such as Public Health Engineering Department, Town and Country planning department, State Audit Department, Urban Developmental Authorities, Municipal Corporations, and Water boards etc to enable seamless delivery of urban civic services to the citizen.